Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Toast

I had Bovril toast for breakfast this morning. It's one of my many true loves and something I can only have when in NZ and in a slightly settled state - this time crashing with my lovely Aunt and Uncle.

Toast has played a major part in my life from a very early age. A mildly contentious diagnosis of an allergy to dairy products sent a possible wheat-bix kid future packing (after a brief and not-too-bad a fling with cereal and juice...).

SO - since as long as I can remember I have eaten 4 slices of toast for breakfast every day. These slices come always topped with a brown spread. The selection includes (where available): Bovril (the undisputed King of brown spreads), Vegemite, Marmite, Promite and Our Mate. For a good few years mad cow disease put an end to Bovril, as it was a beef product, but it returned in triumphant style as a vegetarian spread that tasted EXACTLY the same as it did before...I love genetic engineering...in this case...



I think I must be one of the toastiest people alive...I even used to race my sister, when I was little, to be the first one to eat a whole loaf of toast (these races quickly diminished in frequency after our parents were accused of malnourishing us due to our over-inflated bellies...).

I will sleep easy tonight knowing that, upon waking to the world tomorrow, I can start my day on a supreme high, the always-giving high of toast.

It's good to be back in NZ.

I want this t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment