Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Masters of the Makeover...

Forget Trinny and Susannah, DIY Rescue, Dr 90210, Extreme Makeover (even the tear-inducing home edition!) and Pimp My Ride - I have discovered the people behind some of the greatest makeovers in world history.

Wait for it....

Led Zeppelin.

For some of you, this will be old news, but for my generation it is most-likely not. I believe that, in their time, Led Zep was well-known for appropriating other artists riffs/lyrics/melodies but this fact seems to have faded with time.

I'm slowly making my way through a Led Zep biography, When Giants Walked the Earth, which details the band's rise - largely through the masterminding of Jimmy Page and the band's manager Peter Grant.

It also reveals the sources behind some of their most well-known songs. I'm just gonna let you listen and judge for yourself but know that, with all these songs, the band took what was before and made it incredible and eventually owned up and credited ALMOST all of the original sources in some way (despite originally claiming 100% songwriting credit).

Small Faces, You Need Loving (originally recorded by Muddy Waters, written by Willy Dixon).



Jake Holmes, Dazed and Confused.



Sonny Boy Williamson, Bring it on Home.



AND Led Zep's version of Bring it on Home...



And the coup de grĂ¢ce...

No comments:

Post a Comment