Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My job

A friend recently informed me that it was my job to let them know what music I had discovered of late. Of course, they were joking, but thinking about it more I suppose I am in a position more fortunate to most of being able to have a great excuse to explore new and old artists in the name of research.

Part being a musician and writer is the act of being immersed in music and life as much as possible - the more you listen and experience, the easier it is to be inspired and create. Without it, I believe one would become irrelevant.

So anyway - I thought it would be nice to include a few more people (about 20) into the world of my musical discoveries - new and old, fresh and gone. I don't consider myself to be even remotely on the cutting edge of music and my tastes might not suit everyone - but the idea of passing on the enjoyment I find in an artist is an attractive one.

So here's a couple of freshies to kick things off:

Noah and the Whale
Album: The First Days of Spring
Not THAT new, but an album that has kept growing on me to the point where I'm really enjoying it right now. Slow, sleepy, folky and expressive - it has kept my dreams company on many a plane ride so far. Here's one highlight from the album below:



The Tallest Man on Earth
Album: The Wild Hunt
Despite an overt Bob Dylan and Woodie Guthrie influence, this album is full of stories and soulful tunes that make it stand up as an original piece well worthy of your listening ears. I suppose it's somewhat of a folk tradition to tribute your influences and at least it's done in a classy way. Folk, country music - not for everyone - but I love it. Perfect to accompany a good laze in the sun. Here's a number from the album and his awesome cover of Paul Simon's Graceland:





Enjoy! I'll post more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment