Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

New discoveries! Laura and Audra.



I haven't always been a fan of female songstresses, in fact I used to go out of my way to avoid them for some reason. And I'm still not a fan of the modern-pop-soul craze that has swept the world over the past few years.

However, this year seems to have produced a whole bunch of great albums by solo female artists making music which is soulful and telling and their voices amaze me - I can't help but love them.

I've already mentioned my love for Laura Marling (who is touring close to me but I'll be on the road then unfortunately) and you can add the Joanna Newsom and Beach House (a two-piece but female-led nonetheless) albums to this year's highlights that are well-worth getting a hold of. I've just discovered two more that can be added to that list - Laura Viers and Audra Mae.

Firstly, Laura Viers, another Laura and another great album. This is her 7th album and I have to say I've never heard of her before and haven't listened to any of her previous works. But on listening to her latest I'm an immediate fan. She has a beautifully-dusty folk voice and her songs are very vibey with a mix of piano and guitar-based tracks to add good variety. It's always hard to pin down what exactly makes a song but I believe that's because it either speaks to you or it doesn't - this album speaks to me so I love it. Here's the title track from the album July Flame:




The second of my discoveries is Audra Mae - a relative of Judy Garland. Her debut album, The Happiest Lamb, I only bought this morning and I've only had a first listen, but it has already inspired this blog, so that's gotta be good right? Most of the album is downbeat and emotive folk-soul, so it'll be a situational listen for most people. But, like the other people I've mentioned, her voice is incredible and immediately blew me away. She does an amazing version of a Dolly Parton song called Little Sparrow as a highlight on the album. It's definitely another one to jump on now if you like the sound of the below.



I hope you enjoy these like I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment