Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Old discoveries to share

I'm very much the type of person who is forward-looking - I don't dwell too much on past events apart from what I can take positively from them.

I'm the same with music as well.  I listen largely to what is happening NOW in the world of music apart from creations that will stand up forever in my mind as absolute class. And by no means does that stop me from looking back for inspiration and happiness - just this week I've got hold of albums from Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, Nick Cave and Bonny Prince Billy which I'm really enjoying. Some of these albums I can see myself enjoying for many years, some for not so long.

I thought I would share with you a couple of old gems that have stayed with me for a long time and I think always will in some form and for different reasons - some songs are just plain great and some bring back amazing memories.

Firstly, a band that only ever released one album that I have a large soft-spot for - Sunhouse. Their only creation was called Crazy On The Weekend - a brit folk-rock beauty.



It contains many timeless tracks in what is a complete album - a rarity these days. Definitely give them a listen if you're into the latest folk-rock trend. Here's three tracks in one youtube vid to get your mouth watering:



Secondly, a band whose sound is very NOW but was released over the past 10 years - The Dears. Their album No Cities Left is on my 'greats' list and is a crazy mix of styles similar to the likes of fellow Canadians Arcade Fire and Wold Parade plus The National, Blur, The Smiths, Elbow and a little of Doves.



If you are a fan of any two of those bands then I would highly recommend getting a hold of at least that album. Here's one of my favourite tracks from said album:

No comments:

Post a Comment