Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Michelangelo...the legend...

It was a crisp winter's evening in the Tuscan countryside, I had arrived at a restaurant about 30 minutes outside of Florence in Italy and I was ready for a fantastical feast of fine cuisine.

Upon being seated, the food began to flow from the kitchen - first, a kind of meat platter with salamis, bread and pate which was probably the highlight of the meal. This was followed by courses which, unfortunately, descended in quality and I began to feel a little disillusioned with my Tuscan dream.

However - all was saved by one man. His name: Michaelangelo.

A queer character rolled through the front door of the restaurant with just a keyboard straight from an episode of Beyond 2000 and a classically Italian swagger. Slowly, he sweated his way through the assembly of his stage and visibly readied himself for his art via a series of deep breaths and swabs of the forehead.

He pressed a button on his elaborate keyboard and a fountain of midi-laden delight burst forth into the room. Then he opened his mouth.

My way of describing this larger-than-life character is as a cross between Meatloaf and Shakira - he was a stickler for the dramatic and certainly not one for lyrical accuracy. He wore his emotions on his forehead and threw his voice throughout the room without the aide of a microphone, such was his natural boom.

The first song he played was Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm by Crash Test Dummies - a herald for the type of songs to come. Always by Bon Jovi, I would Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf and Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits, amongst other classics. All were wet with emotion and, thankfully, entertainment.

My stomach was in pain after my Tuscan feast - but not due to the average food. Michelangelo had me in fits for a full hour. He will go down forever in my mind as one of the most entertaining musical acts I've ever seen.

I loved him so much I got a photo with him and I really think I should get on to setting up a Facebook fan page for him.


I managed to capture most of his rendition of Romeo and Juliet on my iPhone - everyone else in the room was talking, while I was transfixed, so it's a little hard to hear the legend sing, but he definitely gets clearer as the video goes on and his passion rises, so persist with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment