Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Another book down

I was recently talking to a fellow musician at an awkward sober industry gathering (most are decidedly non-sober so no one knows quite how to act whilst only under the influence of coffee) and he splurged forth his ideas on inspiration and how important books can be in that process.

In his studies of 'great' songwriters, apparently almost all of them had been avid readers - Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen were thrown around as examples - and I was suddenly reassured and spurned on in my passion for literature. It can be hard to keep this passion while being immersed in an age of internet and gaming and also whilst being surrounded by people who have 100% bought into that lifestyle.

So - I am encouraged and I wanted to share with you my latest read: a book called One Day by David Nicholls. It's the love story of two people who are perfect for each other but who, through life's interventions of distraction and timing, find it hard to live out their passion. It's a very real story, very relate-able and is told in an often candidly hilarious way that balances it's tragic subject. It's a very easy read and was the perfect accompaniment for a recent week-long beach holiday. I wouldn't put it up there as being a classic or must-read, but it's definitely an enjoyable three-and-a-half star book.

No comments:

Post a Comment