Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Music: My Lola

I've never been one to investigate a band's image or go out of my way to watch videos, I'm very much a 'music only' person when judging a record.

This way of exploring music has led me to a crazy revelation.

A band I've been listening to the past few years has led me, through its sound, to believe their lead singer was a fully-bearded gnomish dude, probably with glasses and accompanied by a checkered shirt at most times of day. However, like an ugly radio host with a sexy as hell voice, I have been deceived. It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world, but this lead singer is a woman and the band is Heartless Bastards.


They've also just released a great new album of epic full-band folky goodness. This new discovery has also changed my perception of the group entirely as something much more unique than I first prescribed. Lead vocalist Erika Wennerstrom now takes the place of a rocky Joni Mitchell in my mind, or a more polished and melodic (though far less-unique) Nico.

In any case, you should take a listen, you can buy it here. I loved their previous release, The Mountain as well, so keep digging if you like what you hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment