Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day is, to me, one of the most important national holidays that I get in New Zealand.

It makes me think of war - something that very few of my generation has experienced and something that I  think should never be taken lightly. There is a danger in this modern world to think of war and violence as having some kind of surreal existence - especially people who live here in New Zealand.

But ANZAC Day reminds me that most of the world deals with those things every day and humankind has dealt with for 99.9% of its existence.

I am one of the luckiest people in history - to have been born in this time and in this place.

So, thank you to those people who helped bring that about.

Every time ANZAC Day rolls around I play John Williamson's version of 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" - it's an incredibly moving song. And though it talks about Australia's place in the First World War, it could easily be about NZ.

So this year I thought I'd pop down my own version to throw up some tribute - I hope you enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment